Since Margaret was given only a couple of days to live, I did not waste time, and went up there on Thursday morning. When I left, she said, "Thank you for coming to say hi...and bye." I said, "Well, I am hoping that you might last long enough that I can see you at least once more..."
I did not try to go and see her on Friday, because I knew that Marie and Perry were there with her, as well as her children. But, I also wanted to go and see Marie and Perry. So this morning I texted both Becky and Marie to see how things were. Things had not been good.
Honestly, the US health system really burns me up. Arrgh. It is so stupid. Well, even though she is dying, she was too "healthy" to stay in the hospital by the vitals they measure, and the insurance would not cover her. So they had to find a hospice to move her to.
They moved her, but then she had no nurse and no meds and honestly, they took the care out of "hospice care." So she ended up having to be transported back to the hospital via ambulance. She had a horrible night, and today she was doped up and sleeping, sleeping, sleeping. Still, I went to see her if I could, and if not her, then Marie and the kids. I figure they all need hugs. And I did hug them all!
We had really good visits, sometimes all of us together, sometimes in smaller sets. I got there at 1; Nancy joined us at 3. I missed seeing Perry, because he had gone back to Calgary already. But Marie plans to be here for two weeks. It was very nice to catch up with her.
Finally, at 4, when Mary and the boys (men?) had left, we snuck down to the room (we had been visiting in the waiting area) just to see Margaret, but not intending to wake her up. But she woke up and said, "Oh, my family is here!" So we had a nice short visit with her. She dozes off easily.
This was us. Oh, how we love our Margaret. She said, "That girl brought me some brownies...no it was cinnamon rolls...it was..." Becky said, "Did she had light hair or dark hair?" Margaret said, "Dark hair." "That was Mary," we all chorused (unplanned.) Mary had brought her mom cinnamon rolls. (Mary is such a great cook--and she does stress cooking sometimes!)
We had been eating them while we visited! Fortunately, we didn't eat them all--though Michael had an eye on that last one, I saw him looking at it like he didn't want it to be lonely in the pan!--so there was one left. I think her desire to eat it and her ability to stay awake to eat it do not exactly match, however.
She got tired and wanted to sleep again, so Nancy and I and Marie snuck out after telling her we love her. I am so glad that Marie is here with her sister. I sure do love my cousins!
I did not try to go and see her on Friday, because I knew that Marie and Perry were there with her, as well as her children. But, I also wanted to go and see Marie and Perry. So this morning I texted both Becky and Marie to see how things were. Things had not been good.
Honestly, the US health system really burns me up. Arrgh. It is so stupid. Well, even though she is dying, she was too "healthy" to stay in the hospital by the vitals they measure, and the insurance would not cover her. So they had to find a hospice to move her to.
They moved her, but then she had no nurse and no meds and honestly, they took the care out of "hospice care." So she ended up having to be transported back to the hospital via ambulance. She had a horrible night, and today she was doped up and sleeping, sleeping, sleeping. Still, I went to see her if I could, and if not her, then Marie and the kids. I figure they all need hugs. And I did hug them all!
We had really good visits, sometimes all of us together, sometimes in smaller sets. I got there at 1; Nancy joined us at 3. I missed seeing Perry, because he had gone back to Calgary already. But Marie plans to be here for two weeks. It was very nice to catch up with her.
| Marie and I together--picture I sent to my sister Arlene, who wishes she were here too |
This was us. Oh, how we love our Margaret. She said, "That girl brought me some brownies...no it was cinnamon rolls...it was..." Becky said, "Did she had light hair or dark hair?" Margaret said, "Dark hair." "That was Mary," we all chorused (unplanned.) Mary had brought her mom cinnamon rolls. (Mary is such a great cook--and she does stress cooking sometimes!)
We had been eating them while we visited! Fortunately, we didn't eat them all--though Michael had an eye on that last one, I saw him looking at it like he didn't want it to be lonely in the pan!--so there was one left. I think her desire to eat it and her ability to stay awake to eat it do not exactly match, however.
She got tired and wanted to sleep again, so Nancy and I and Marie snuck out after telling her we love her. I am so glad that Marie is here with her sister. I sure do love my cousins!
No comments:
Post a Comment