Tuesday, August 12, 2025

Mini Miracle

 Nancy's daughter Rachel is staying chez nous until she moves into student housing later this month.  She has a job in the library working for my friend Janice (so Rachel will be working with music materials in cataloguing). But Janice has been oh so busy this summer!

First she went to Salzburg for the IAML conference, as I did, and then she went to Switzerland for a few days of vacation, and then she had a MOUG meeting in Ohio, and then she had I think some meeting for a new Audio-Visual cataloguing thing she is the president of, and then she went to Minnesota with her husband to help be in charge of a scout trip canoeing in lakes and doing portages.

She did not return to work until August 6, and then she would only be at work until yesterday, August 11, because then she was going to a quilting thing in Idaho for the rest of the week.

So, if Rachel wanted to get working, and the whole point of her coming out early was to get working, earning money, and getting comfortable with work before she moves and starts classes and stuff, then she needed to get hired and trained while Janice was here for that small window of time.

On Wednesday August 6, Janice and Rachel did the inital stuff, but then it was over to Workday and whatever happened there. So Thursday was just a waiting game day. Rachel texted me to say that they emailed her to do something online. She did that. Then they contacted her to make an appointment to do her I-9 stuff. They offered her a 3:15 appointment that day. I said TAKE IT. Because then she could hopefully work on Friday and Monday before Janice left on Tuesday.

I was supposed to leave at 3:30 to go and pick up Ben, and then pick up Miriam at 4:30, and then Josie at 5:00. So I was squeezing her in, to run and pick her up and get her back to BYU, because it was already the afternoon. I was in a meeting that ended at 2 when I got her text, and was supposed to have another meeting at 3, which I decided to skip. (Rachel had already walked to and from campus once, and the day was very hot like 95F, so I told her I would pick her up.)

Anyways, I had a little bit of time so I was trying to finish a project I was working on in the DVDs, and I did finish, but I lost track of time, and thought it was 2:30 when it was actually 2:50. So when I stopped, it was already fully 3:00. Yikes! After I walk to my car, I live 7 minutes from campus, and then 7 minutes back. I was going to have to hurry, and she would be late!

By the time I hurried to my car, and was leaving the underground parking lot, it was 3:05. I had ten minutes to drive 14 minutes worth of driving if she was going to be on time. I was afraid that if she was late, she would lose her spot, and potentially the opportunity to start work on Friday!

So I prayed. I said, "Please open a path so she can be on time and get her paperwork done so she can work tomorrow."

The path was there! It was a miracle. I dropped her off at the Wilkinson Center at 3:12, time enough for her to be on time. I parked and came to my office, and Janice texted me at 3:19 that Rachel was approved to work! So she started the next day as hoped.

I also got to all the other places more or less on time. Three minutes late for Ben, ten minutes late for Miriam (because I forgot the D&D printouts in my office that they would need for the evening activity--the whole reason I picked up Ben--so had to stop and get them) but Miriam was late getting out of class (at the organ workshop) so really only waited a couple of minutes, and pretty much on time for Josie.

That drive--is impossible to do in only 7 minutes. From 3:05 to 3:12!! BYU to home and back. Without speeding. Unbelievable. I call that a miracle. A small one, but quite miraculous indeed!

2 comments:

Bruce Conrad said...

Small miracles are the best.

Nancy said...

Thank you for doing all that running around! I'm glad those miracles happened to get Rachel working!! :)