A week ago Thursday, July 2, our neighobor's daughter, who is a BYU alumnus and also University of Kansas alum for her master's degree as a collaborative pianist, gave a recital at the end of the work day in BYU's Museum of Art. It was so good!
Here is Beth, talking about the program:
And here is the oboeist, Colby, she collaborated with on one piece:
And here is Beth and her mom, Mary Elizabeth, collaborating on a couple of piano duets by Oliver Davis, who was a composer I had not heard of before, but who I find I really like the music of, so I have begun ordering a few pieces for the library.
Beth also collaborated with herself, singing and playing the Sammy Fain piece, "I'll be seeing you," which she dedicated to her deceased brother Jacob, because in the year and a bit since his death, when she goes to all "the old familiar places" she sees him in her mind's eye. It was very touching. A couple of other pieces she played as piano solos were also kind of "about" family love, and I was moved to tears unexpectedly--don't always expect to cry at a piano recital!
All week we were gearing up for yesterday! Josie was working an extra hour every day so she could take a half day off on Friday so that we could help Rachel and her Heiss grandparents with emptying Nancy's pods. And it only took two hours start to finish, including driving time to Spanish Fork and back!! That was because we had so many helpers. Many hands make light work!!
I didn't remember to take pictures on the Spanish Fork end of the pod unpacking, but there were maybe 17-20 people helping at that end. They did not all come to the unloading zone at the storage unit Nancy and Andrew had rented, but these people did:
R-L: James, who works with Rachel in the Music Cataloguing area, Steve and Janice (Janice Rachel's boss and also James' boss), me, Josie, Rachel, and the lady and her two children who are neighbors to Aunt Linda. Missing is Janice and Steve's son, Reuben, who had to leave a few minutes before the picture was taken, and Reid and Darla who somehow both avoided being in the picture, and the nice man from Aunt Linda's ward who drove the truck we put all the stuff into.I think the most awkward thing to move was Grandma Conrad's old sewing machine (dated by my colleauge Jed to, he thinks, 1921) which was heavy. Mind you, boxes of books were heavy, too. I proved myself to be very weak compared to other people. So I was really grateful there were others there to help. Had it just been me and Josie and Rachel, it would have really been noticeable how weak I am, and it would have taken WAY longer!!
Here is Reid, holding up the code that Nancy and Andrew devised, which helped us know where to put things. White tags are back left, with the two purples in front of it (not perfectly sorted, but those are Rachel's and Miriam's things). In back right there are the furniture-ish things, like a desk and the sewing machine and TV screens, then red tags and food buckets at front right.
We left home at 1:05 (that was my fault; Josie and Rachel were right ready to go at 1:00; I was 5 minutes late according to the timing that I set) and got home again at 2:53. Not even two hours!!! That is amazing. We brought the musical instruments, the viola and the ukulele, to our house, and Janice put the bike in her van, and dropped it off at our house. It is nice that there is an aisle in the storage unit.
And there are the bookends to the past week. Or the past ten days.
No comments:
Post a Comment