Thursday, August 1, 2024

July 2024 Books

 This month was dominated by non-fiction reading, sometimes in conjunction with research I am doing. 

1. You won't be surprised that I read somebody's master's thesis: Jo Anna Kneeland's Theraputic Barre: A qualitative analysis (2012) by Charlotte Hart was a good read, because I was interested in the dance methodology of Jo Anna Kneeland, who is such an interesting person, as well as an important dance pedagogue. So, it might not make for great reading for everybody, but if you are interested in reading the thesis itself as well as the appended interviews with students of Kneeland, then it is worth reading.

2. This one is fiction: Between the Lines (2012) by Jodi Picoult and (her daughter) Samantha Van Leer. I needed something light amid all the non-fiction, so I looked for this foray into fantasy by Jodi P. I have enjoyed her other not-fantasy books, which my granddaughter Rosie got me into when she lived chez nous, and so I thought I would try this. Interesting spin, with the book being full of "live" characters who must dash to their places on the set when the book is opened.

3. The spark: the legacy that changed the dance world (2017) by Cheryl Ale. I am sure it is clear this is also a nonfiction title! This book is about teaching ballet, and while there is no index, and it is not made clear (from the title) what exactly ignited the spark, it was in fact the Kneeland methodology as taught by Kneeland and also Ruth Petrinovic. I had Janice make subject headings with their names for our copy, and maybe some other libraries will use our record from OCLC if they get this book. Nonfiction books without indexes are a little bit annoying to me.

4. Cassandra in Reverse (2023) by Holly Smale. Cassandra is a neuro-diverse person, and it took me a few chapters to start liking her, and then I thought she was quite lovely. She learns that she can go back in time and "fix" things, but honestly, can you? You fix something, you mess something else up! This was a fun and touching read.

5. I finished reading the Book of Mormon, which I have been listening to, not reading with my eyes, while doing my morning planks and balances. I started January 1 and finished July 7. Now I am back to my most usual New Testament four gospels during my morning exercise ritual.

6. Swipe up for more! Inside the unfiltered lives of influencers (2023) by Stephanie McNeal. This was so interesting to me! Like I know, or know of, people whose "work" is being an influencer. It is not "work" I envy at all. (I remember that Grant let me know some of the downsides, like people turning up at their house, strangers, and while none of them were ever horrible, Grant recognized that they could have been. And being obligated to create content all the time.) This journalist interviewed a variety of influencers, focusing on three in particular: Shannon Bird, a Mormon Mommy lifestyle blogger, Caitlin Covington, a fashion influencer, and Mirna Valerio, a plus-size, black, outdoorswoman who became a sports and sporting goods influencer. Super interesting read!!

7. Democracy Awakening: Notes on the State of America (2023) by Heather Cox Richardson. Dr. Richardson is a historian at Boston College. In this book, she looks at democracy since the very beginning of America. I mean, she does that, but the book starts now and wanders around in history not in strict chronological order, but drawing parallels between various events in US history. She demonstrates that America has always had a democracy problem--the fight has always been on, because there are always, and have always been, people who want to be oligarchs. And if we the people want to live in a democracy, we have to stand up to oligarchs. Highly recommend.

8. Shiver (2009) by Maggie Stiefvater. I have read and enjoyed Maggie's books in the past. This is one of her earlier books that I just happened upon on the juv sorting shelves. I really liked this tale of werewolves and warmth.  (Shivering, in contrast, can be dangerous.)

So there you have it! Eight books this month, five nonfiction and three fiction. On to August reading!

No comments: