Okay, I should write things but having power to my device is tricky, so I am going to photo dump a bit instead.
Saturday July 5 at Patrick's house:
Since his apartment building is pretty much smack-dab on the street, it is so surprising and refreshing to look out and see his beautiful back year. He is on the third floor, and he says that up close, the garden is not super well tended, and the chairs are falling apart, but from high up it is a beautiful surprise.
The other view was from the living room window; this one is from the kitehen, trying to see further to the side.
Sunday July 6
Patrick is not well. He has a mysterious illness that is under investigation. He has been to the doctor a lot. This makes me so sad.
He is not allowed to work until the doctor releases him, but instead of resting, he is going to doctor appointments to try to discover the cause of the illness, instead of just treating the symptoms.
Meanwhile, in Salzburg, Janice and Steve and I visited a church while waiting to attend the opening of our conference.
Here are pictures from inside:
There were a bunch of dioramas of various scripture stories, but I only took a picture of this one of the birth of Jesus. (Taken through the glass, with my shadow on it.)
After the church, we went out to eat, because we had time to do so. We went to this place that was run by Spanish speaking people. Janice and Steve got tacos and tostados, but I got this weird thing that tempted me. It was cold, with mashed potatoes and avocadoes, I can't remember what else. It came in two little piles, one at each end of the long skinny plate. I went to cut one, and lobbed off about half of it onto the floor. Nice one. I should have taken a picture BEFORE I cleaned it up. This picture is AFTER.
We also walked through the flower garden and avenue of trees that were used in filming The Sound of Music. The king's garden, or something?
Janice and I then went to our conference's opening, while Steve went back to the hotel. The opening was at the Mozarteum University. Our entertainers for the night was a family. Their dad is a professor of folk music at the university. They were so good!!
Monday July 7
Started my day with the hotel breakfast:
I did not spill, but at the table next to me, their little boy did massively spill his orange juice!! So glad it wasn't my spill this time!
Super close to our hotel, the Jufa, is the University Nonntel at which most of our events are. It is called Unipark for short for whatever reason, unknown to me.
I have seen three universities here, and they are all small compared to what I am used to. Here is the front door of Unipark. Turning around from these doors, and walking to the edge, you have a great view of the castle on the hill. So close, and yet so far (so many steps!)
All of the lecture halls that we are using have very trappy-feeling places to sit. (By which I mean they make me feel trapped.) So I sit near an end, but not on the end, because then people have to climb over which is unpleasant for everyone.
There was a session on the music of the Salzburg state, which has 119 towns/cities, and 143 wind ensembles, not to mention all the other types of musical ensembles.
Maria von Trapp and two of the Baron's children, Martina and Werner (names changed in the movie) attended the Mozarteum back in the day. Here are some of their reports from it:
Tonight for dinner, Janice and Steve and their cousin Paula and friend Airwyn and I took a bus somewhere and walked somewhere and ate outside. I got the lentil soup, and it was just the right size, and I didn't spill anything, and it was good. Here are some photos from tonight:
The place we ate:
Where we randomly saw three people dressed like this, though I only captured two of them on film:
Janice and Steve went to the Monday night concert (I gave him my ticket) and the three of us walked home to the hotel, which took about twenty minutes.
1 comment:
Oh, I love Salzburg. We went twice, and did the Sound of Music tour. Funny thing the tour guide knew of UNC and Duke so when we said we were from North Carolina he said something like, "Go Tar Heels? Or Duke?" and we were like, "how did you know that?" If I remember correctly, he'd lived in South Carolina for a while. He was so cool. I loved that tour so much. I have great memories in Austria. Thanks for sharing your stories there. I'm sorry Patrick is sick, though.
Post a Comment