So, in June I posted on Facebook my satisfaction that after 30 years of having children in public school, I was finally DONE. Well, the joke is on me, because now our granddaughter Rosie is living with us for the school year, so I am "back in the saddle." Today was her first day of tenth grade (AKA Grade 10 in Canada) at Provo High School.
She had opted to take early morning seminary, so that meant that school would start at 6:30, and we live far enough away that we would have to leave at 6:10. She went to bed early, and I decided to go to bed early, too. I was so tired!
I had been outside hacking away at our bushes, trimming them back so they don't overhang the sidewalk, and then I gathered up the garbage and put the bins out--the green waste one and the regular garbage one. While I was outside working, David drove up. Earlier in the evening, he and Patrick had left to play ultimate. David came home alone and went in the house and hung up the keys. The keys that Patrick usually has. The keys that have Patrick's house keys on them. Then David walked up the hill to the Heiss house, where he is house-sitting while Andrew's parents are away.
I should back up and say that last week, we got new storm doors, which I have been wanting for a LONG TIME. I can leave the windows in them open at night, and they have dead bolts. They are wonderful. I made sure that Patrick had a key to the new back door, because he is often the last one in at night.
So...I was ready for bed by 10:30, and locked the doors, "knowing" as I did that Patrick, who was not yet home, had a key. I slept rather well, and woke up when Bruce got up, as he usually does, at 4:30 AM. I noticed that the light on my phone was flashing...and there was a text from Patrick. "I am at Heiss'. You locked me out." Received at 12:07 AM.
Oh yes!! The key that I "knew" Patrick had...was hanging up on the key rack, right where David had put it. Apparently Patrick rang the doorbell and called my phone several times, but I was sleeping really well! So, he called David, and then just walked up and joined him at the Heiss house. So, thank you, Heisses, for your hospitality for my locked-out-of house son!
I told him that, if there is a next time, which we both hope there will not be, he should come around back to my bedroom window and yell at me. I am sure that would totally freak me out, but at least I would wake up!
So, not because of this incident, but as a rather happy random happenstance, Rosie has transferred to an after school seminary class, so I don't have to get up so early, so I don't have to go to bed so early...so I think we will be okay, and I will not be quite so dazed and confused, and no one will get locked out again anytime soon.
She had opted to take early morning seminary, so that meant that school would start at 6:30, and we live far enough away that we would have to leave at 6:10. She went to bed early, and I decided to go to bed early, too. I was so tired!
I had been outside hacking away at our bushes, trimming them back so they don't overhang the sidewalk, and then I gathered up the garbage and put the bins out--the green waste one and the regular garbage one. While I was outside working, David drove up. Earlier in the evening, he and Patrick had left to play ultimate. David came home alone and went in the house and hung up the keys. The keys that Patrick usually has. The keys that have Patrick's house keys on them. Then David walked up the hill to the Heiss house, where he is house-sitting while Andrew's parents are away.
I should back up and say that last week, we got new storm doors, which I have been wanting for a LONG TIME. I can leave the windows in them open at night, and they have dead bolts. They are wonderful. I made sure that Patrick had a key to the new back door, because he is often the last one in at night.
So...I was ready for bed by 10:30, and locked the doors, "knowing" as I did that Patrick, who was not yet home, had a key. I slept rather well, and woke up when Bruce got up, as he usually does, at 4:30 AM. I noticed that the light on my phone was flashing...and there was a text from Patrick. "I am at Heiss'. You locked me out." Received at 12:07 AM.
Oh yes!! The key that I "knew" Patrick had...was hanging up on the key rack, right where David had put it. Apparently Patrick rang the doorbell and called my phone several times, but I was sleeping really well! So, he called David, and then just walked up and joined him at the Heiss house. So, thank you, Heisses, for your hospitality for my locked-out-of house son!
I told him that, if there is a next time, which we both hope there will not be, he should come around back to my bedroom window and yell at me. I am sure that would totally freak me out, but at least I would wake up!
So, not because of this incident, but as a rather happy random happenstance, Rosie has transferred to an after school seminary class, so I don't have to get up so early, so I don't have to go to bed so early...so I think we will be okay, and I will not be quite so dazed and confused, and no one will get locked out again anytime soon.
1 comment:
So good to read your blog!!! :)
Post a Comment