So, today, rather than just doing other people's family history like I usually do, I decided to do some of my own. I did a few things like post Uncle Clyde's obituary, and my dad's obituary. And then I decided that I needed to post a picture of my dad with the old airplane, and my mom playing the accordion--stuff like that. So that there were pictures of them that kind of define them, instead of just them standing in a group like so many pictures are.
Well, imagine my surprise to see this picture:
I was like--what? Who is that? And then I see that it was just posted on March 29, 2020, by one jbertin, with a note that said that the picture had written on the back "Arnold Muhlestein Conrad, born 1915".
Could this be a picture of my dad? I have never seen a baby picture of him!!! And this J. Bertin (when I emailed her it is Jennifer)--so I Facebook stalked her and found out that she lives in Logan, is affiliated in some way with Utah State and that she and her husband served as mission presidents, but I didn't know where.
So. I knew that my Great Aunt Allie, my Grandpa Conrad's youngest sister, had been married to a Bertin. (He was Italian. Hence Bertin not Burton.) He had died young, and she married Mel Cherrington long before I was born, and I loved going to their house because they had hummingbird feeders and so visiting them was not boring.
So. I looked up Aunt Allie on Family Search to see who her children were, and noticed that her son James Conrad Bertin, (who went by Con, and who was in the navy, and who was a high school coach in Blackfoot,Idaho) that his wife Dorothy just died in 2018. That makes sense with the picture getting posted now--like, that his children recently went through photos and things. Here is Dorothy's obituary.
From her obituary, I learned that she and Con had two children, Kim (and his wife Jennifer) and Christine. So I figured this was the same Jennifer I found on Facebook, especially when I tried looking for mission presidents Kim and Jennifer Bertin and found that they had served in the Quezon City mission from 2014-2017.
So. I am pretty excited. I am sure that must be a picture of my dad that his Aunt Allie had. In 1915, when Dad was born, Aunt Allie was a young newly wed girl with no children of her own. And I know from experience that she loved my dad a lot and thought he was awesome. So I am quite ready to believe that she took a picture of baby him!
Well, imagine my surprise to see this picture:
I was like--what? Who is that? And then I see that it was just posted on March 29, 2020, by one jbertin, with a note that said that the picture had written on the back "Arnold Muhlestein Conrad, born 1915".
Could this be a picture of my dad? I have never seen a baby picture of him!!! And this J. Bertin (when I emailed her it is Jennifer)--so I Facebook stalked her and found out that she lives in Logan, is affiliated in some way with Utah State and that she and her husband served as mission presidents, but I didn't know where.
So. I knew that my Great Aunt Allie, my Grandpa Conrad's youngest sister, had been married to a Bertin. (He was Italian. Hence Bertin not Burton.) He had died young, and she married Mel Cherrington long before I was born, and I loved going to their house because they had hummingbird feeders and so visiting them was not boring.
So. I looked up Aunt Allie on Family Search to see who her children were, and noticed that her son James Conrad Bertin, (who went by Con, and who was in the navy, and who was a high school coach in Blackfoot,Idaho) that his wife Dorothy just died in 2018. That makes sense with the picture getting posted now--like, that his children recently went through photos and things. Here is Dorothy's obituary.
From her obituary, I learned that she and Con had two children, Kim (and his wife Jennifer) and Christine. So I figured this was the same Jennifer I found on Facebook, especially when I tried looking for mission presidents Kim and Jennifer Bertin and found that they had served in the Quezon City mission from 2014-2017.
So. I am pretty excited. I am sure that must be a picture of my dad that his Aunt Allie had. In 1915, when Dad was born, Aunt Allie was a young newly wed girl with no children of her own. And I know from experience that she loved my dad a lot and thought he was awesome. So I am quite ready to believe that she took a picture of baby him!

2 comments:
what a great find!
What a treasure to find, Myrna!!
Makes one wonder what other things Great Aunt Allie had in her collection, doesn't it?
Post a Comment