Sunday, November 24, 2019

Gamelan Fall Semester 2019

This was our huge group of musicians and dancers:
This was such a fun concert! I hope maybe someone filmed part of it! There is a link to the program, which has a few strange spellings for the Balinese words!

Before I went to Europe, I was playing penyacah for Puspanjali, but Jeremy had me play suling because the volunteers from Music 307 needed a strong suling player, since they have never played that instrument before. We will be playing this at Christmas Around the World, and I am not sure what instrument I will play. Our visiting professors are the composer and original choreographer of this piece. Here is a video example. (Not us.)

For Marga Pati, I played penyacah with Rachael, who was very easy to watch. I have played this years ago, but there were parts I was unsure of, so my eyes were on Rachael's hands! Here is a video example, again, not us!
Our Tari Marga Pati (Tari = Dance)
For Wira Yuda (which basically means war fighting) I was on jublag. This one was super easy, at least for the jublag. I picked it up very quickly. That always feels good! This is a men's dance, as you can see in this example which is not our group.
Our Tari Wira Yuda
It was so cool to go back and forth between the steel band and the instruments of bronze! And both ensembles, the steel band and the gamelan, did kecak together at the end.

It was a fun night!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

So fun! Wish I could have been there (to watch or participate; either way)! It sounds like it was awesome!