Wednesday, November 27, 2019

What is something you wish you were thankful for?

This is a difficult question, because it implies that you need to think of something you are currently NOT thankful for, and somehow raise the wherewithal to wish you could be thankful for it!

This brings to mind several scriptures: “Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things”(D&C 59:7) and "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

The scripture in 1 Thessalonians is the one that inspired the story of Betsie Ten Boom and her gratitude for the fleas in the barracks in the concentration camp she and her sister Corrie were in. I love that story! Here it is, excerpted from Corrie's book, The Hiding Place, for anyone who would like to read it again (or for the first time.)

Betsie is a great example, but I am not sure that I am ready to be thankful for terrible things like cancer, or people dying young and leaving young children behind, which are things that I am currently not thankful for. But I wish I had the necessary understanding to be able to be thankful for everything! Maybe one day I will get to that point!

Things people answered on Angela's original post with this question--not a lot of people replied to this question, and no wonder--it is a hard one!
Messes everywhere
Stretch marks and mommy pooch
To be healthy--like wow! (This answer is like, we take it for granted!! So indeed, we should notice and be thankful for being healthy. It is the best.)
Answers that aren't what you hope for (example given: an autism diagnosis)
My trials in life
Love handles
Mornings (the person who wrote this must be an owl!)
Tantrums
Headaches

Lots of things to think about here.

When I was young, I had terrible periods. Terrible. Awful. They were irregular, unpredictable, I bled like a fountain, and the pain was beyond horrible. I was exactly the opposite of thankful for them. They made me so angry!! I used to rage "When I design a world, women will NOT have periods!"

But. I learned some things. I learned how to bear pain. I learned how to work through pain, because it is stay home and miss out, or make yourself do something in spite of it. Since they were so unpredictable, I could plan to participate in something, and then it would come at a totally unexpected time, like a week after the last one or whatever. Early on, I missed out on many things, but then I learned to fight back. And when I had babies, I learned that I could bear labor and childbirth pains in ways that people who had not dealt with pain before could not. I appreciated pregnancy and nursing because no periods!! I could get 2-3 years of no periods for every baby!! Sweet! Now that I don't have them anymore, I am even more grateful because they were no fun. But--they did do me some good, after all.

Now to learn to be thankful for other hard things...

1 comment:

Susanne said...

I enjoyed this post! Such an interesting thankful prompt!