Thursday, November 21, 2019

What is something you are thankful for that you think is fun and interesting, but other people think is boring?

I did not answer this question when Angela posted it. But many people did, and they posted these things to be thankful for:
spelling
doing the laundry
budgeting
window shopping for houses (I call that being a looky-loo)
audio books
bed sheets
weaving
trying to hypnotize people
reading Wikipedia
reading almanacs
books
birds
plants
board games
dogs
organizing closets, drawers and files
weeds and weeding
behavior analysis
math
school
looking up words in the dictionary
vacuuming
taking classes
bugs
colorful hairbows
cats
LED bulbs
watching car repair videos
knitting
learning botanical Latin names
opera music
words
maps
watching people paint or garden
spreadsheets
sewing doll clothes
PBS
historical fiction
Star Trek Enterprise
going to yard and garage sales
watching TV

That is a pretty great list. I am not sure if I have anything to add--and I find very few of the items on this list boring. As a child who read all of the World Book Encyclopedias and was reduced to reading the big fat Webster's Dictionary my parents had, and did a fair bit of pouring over the maps in the old encyclopedias--I can't remember what kind they were, but yes, I grew up in a home with two sets of encyclopedias. (I thought that was normal. I was shocked in school to discover that there were children who had no encyclopedias or dictionaries in their homes!!! What?!!!)

I am very, very sorry for getting rid of our World Book Encyclopedias when we moved. I did give them to a school, so at least they didn't end up in a landfill. But still. I robbed my younger children of the pleasure of reading the encyclopedia. Which is totally NOT boring! Fascinating.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Seriously. I loved those encyclopedias!

I know we have wikipedia now but a good set of encyclopedias to just browse through would be bliss (for my whole household, I'm sure). :)

Susanne said...

We had the World Book encyclopedias, too! And Child Craft.

Fun list of "boring" stuff!

Myrna said...

There are World Books on AbeBooks: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=0716601044&cm_sp=mbc-_-ISBN-_-all

Hard to tell exactly what you might be getting, though!

I loved the Child Craft books, too!