Wednesday, November 20, 2019

What I am thankful for that makes me different from other people...

Isn't it wonderful that all of us are different from other people? Every single person is unique--even identical twins! You get to know them, and you can tell them apart, because they aren't completely identical. They will have something that is uniquely their own!

What is sad, in our increasingly polarized society, is that people cling to other people who are like them, and miss the beauty of the diversity around them in others.

What makes me different? It could be physical things, like my toe thumb on my left hand. Or the way my right big toe sticks up in its own special way. My gold streak, back in the day before I started to dye my hair--that was definitely different from other people.

It could be things that I do, like being unable to sit still in intense or scary scenes in movies. Or crying over some silly cartoon or advertisement--not everybody you meet is like that.

What makes me different from other people is that only I am the youngest daughter of Arnold and Pearl Conrad, and only I have three wonderful siblings, Bruce, Colleen and Arlene. Only I am Bruce Layton's wife and have these particular six children: Kelli, Abbi, David, Nancy, Patrick and Josie, each of whom in turn is spectacularly unique and precious, and each different from the other.

I love diversity! I am thankful even for my bad eyes (because they are only bad; I can still see!) and thankful for the people around me who can see better than I can. And I am thankful for the things that I can do maybe a little bit different that might lift someone else. When you put us all together, with all our differences, the whole lot of us are greater than the sum of our individual parts. I am thankful for that.