Another day, another conference. The Max Steiner Symposium is actually a two-day deal, but this morning I had to get up and drive to Weber State in Ogden for the Utah Dance Education Organization conference. I was slated for a poster session.
This was my first time at UDEO--I did not even know it existed until earlier this year, when in an effort to "expand my circle of influence" I went googling to find out if there were any local-ish dance conferences, and I found it.
The theme was dance history in Utah, so there were talks about Virginia Tanner and Mary Bee Jensen and other "dance pioneers." But--when I was researching Primary music earlier this year, I discovered that a young woman named Mildred Tanner had composed a dance called "The Butterfly Dance" that was performed at Primary Conferences in 1916, 1917 (and I recently learned that it was incorporated into an operetta and performed again in 1918) and published (choreography, music, costuming) in the Dec. 1917 Children's Friend. And then I suddenly figured out one day that Mildred Tanner is Mildred Tanner Pettit, the composer of "I am a child of God." And then I figured out that Mildred and Virginia are sisters. Twenty years apart--but I can't imagine that Mildred's dancing didn't have an influence on Virginia, especially since Mildred was the playground director at Pioneer Park which was the park also by Virginia's house when she was little.
So that was what my poster presentation was about. And honestly, I am too tired to talk about it, because after getting up early to drive to Ogden (and I HATE the way I-15 is around Lehi, so that was a stressful drive to do in the dark, which it is at 6:30 AM--although tomorrow it will be light because of daylight savings change) and then dancing (Virginia Tanner contemporary style with Marilyn Berrett and then square dancing with Jeanette Geslison) and then talking non-stop during my poster session time, and then being so thirsty but there was no water, only pop, and then driving back to Provo and going back to the Max Steiner symposium, and finishing up at 9:30 and then going to the store for bread and milk, both of which we were out of, I am really tired. Good thing I am supposed to write every day, because that leaves something to say tomorrow!
But I will put the slides for the Mildred Tanner presentation here:
This was my first time at UDEO--I did not even know it existed until earlier this year, when in an effort to "expand my circle of influence" I went googling to find out if there were any local-ish dance conferences, and I found it.
The theme was dance history in Utah, so there were talks about Virginia Tanner and Mary Bee Jensen and other "dance pioneers." But--when I was researching Primary music earlier this year, I discovered that a young woman named Mildred Tanner had composed a dance called "The Butterfly Dance" that was performed at Primary Conferences in 1916, 1917 (and I recently learned that it was incorporated into an operetta and performed again in 1918) and published (choreography, music, costuming) in the Dec. 1917 Children's Friend. And then I suddenly figured out one day that Mildred Tanner is Mildred Tanner Pettit, the composer of "I am a child of God." And then I figured out that Mildred and Virginia are sisters. Twenty years apart--but I can't imagine that Mildred's dancing didn't have an influence on Virginia, especially since Mildred was the playground director at Pioneer Park which was the park also by Virginia's house when she was little.
So that was what my poster presentation was about. And honestly, I am too tired to talk about it, because after getting up early to drive to Ogden (and I HATE the way I-15 is around Lehi, so that was a stressful drive to do in the dark, which it is at 6:30 AM--although tomorrow it will be light because of daylight savings change) and then dancing (Virginia Tanner contemporary style with Marilyn Berrett and then square dancing with Jeanette Geslison) and then talking non-stop during my poster session time, and then being so thirsty but there was no water, only pop, and then driving back to Provo and going back to the Max Steiner symposium, and finishing up at 9:30 and then going to the store for bread and milk, both of which we were out of, I am really tired. Good thing I am supposed to write every day, because that leaves something to say tomorrow!
But I will put the slides for the Mildred Tanner presentation here:





No comments:
Post a Comment