It is November after all, and I keep having writer's block, but the thing is, I could be writing about things I am thankful for.
My friend and former student Angela, who married my friend and former student Justin, has been posting little thankful prompts on Facebook that have been generated by her children. Then she reads the responses back to her kids. Most of the questions are from her oldest son, Wally, who "invented" this game for their family. Some of the questions have been:
What is something you are thankful for that is your favorite color?
What is something you are thankful for that you used to not like?
What are you thankful for that makes you different from other people?
Guest post from Adele: What is something you are thankful for that you think is fun and interesting, but other people think is boring?
What are you thankful for that you have seen, but not had?
What are you thankful for that is orange?
What is a game you are thankful for?
What is some music/song/instrument you are thankful for?
Who is a veteran you are thankful for?
Draw something you are thankful for using a circle.
Guest post from Isaac: What are you thankful for that is living?
What are you thankful for that rhymes with mountain, people, or bugle?
I think that some of these are great writing prompts about thankfulness, so I can come back to them if I need some inspiration.
Today, I am thankful for Alexander. I have had the opportunity to talk to him on video calls multiple times this week. Sometimes this is because he "needs" to talk to me! Wow! I have fifteen grandchildren and he is the first one who "needs" me. Some of my grandchildren actively didn't like me: "I don't like Josie's mom." Some of them tolerated me. Some of them liked me, but, you know, not enough to "need me." I wish that he had decided that he needed me while he still lived close by, so that means I am also thankful for the technology that allows him to both hear and see me, and that that virtual connection is enough to keep him "needing" me. It feels wonderful to be needed.
My friend and former student Angela, who married my friend and former student Justin, has been posting little thankful prompts on Facebook that have been generated by her children. Then she reads the responses back to her kids. Most of the questions are from her oldest son, Wally, who "invented" this game for their family. Some of the questions have been:
What is something you are thankful for that is your favorite color?
What is something you are thankful for that you used to not like?
What are you thankful for that makes you different from other people?
Guest post from Adele: What is something you are thankful for that you think is fun and interesting, but other people think is boring?
What are you thankful for that you have seen, but not had?
What are you thankful for that is orange?
What is a game you are thankful for?
What is some music/song/instrument you are thankful for?
Who is a veteran you are thankful for?
Draw something you are thankful for using a circle.
Guest post from Isaac: What are you thankful for that is living?
What are you thankful for that rhymes with mountain, people, or bugle?
I think that some of these are great writing prompts about thankfulness, so I can come back to them if I need some inspiration.
Today, I am thankful for Alexander. I have had the opportunity to talk to him on video calls multiple times this week. Sometimes this is because he "needs" to talk to me! Wow! I have fifteen grandchildren and he is the first one who "needs" me. Some of my grandchildren actively didn't like me: "I don't like Josie's mom." Some of them tolerated me. Some of them liked me, but, you know, not enough to "need me." I wish that he had decided that he needed me while he still lived close by, so that means I am also thankful for the technology that allows him to both hear and see me, and that that virtual connection is enough to keep him "needing" me. It feels wonderful to be needed.
3 comments:
I'm glad you are thankful for it! We don't want to bug you. That little guy likes to call you a lot!
The other day we called Josie instead and he just asked her where you were and said he needed to talk to you! Hahaha!
You can call as often as you want. If you call using the computer, you can even call me during the day. He can look at me while I work--since, honestly, he looks at me more than he actually says anything!
How sweet that Alexander needs you! :)
I love these prompts. I may have to use some myself.
Oh, if you ever want something to write about: I'd love to hear what you are reading these days and/or what your favorite books of all time/this year are. Or what you would recommend people to read if you were asked by 1. a child 2. a teen 3. a young adult, stuff like that.
I'd also enjoy reading about your favorite hymns, favorite non-hymns, favorite foods, favorite Bible verses, favorite places to vacation; best memories of a time your family traveled to ______ or celebrated ______. Stuff like that. :)
Post a Comment