July 13th was not an unlucky day for our family! Bruce found a good job with Lewis & Sherman Drywall, and we were able to move into an apartment. We live at: 457 E. Bradley Ave. #8, El Cajon, CA 92020.
Kelli already has a best friend--a little black boy, Antoine, who lives in #12. He and his younger sister (LaShetta) spend so much time at our house, I'm beginning to wonder if they live here, too--and so is their mommy! But they are very sweet children, and love to play with the girls, so I don't mind a bit!
July 16 -- Kelli went to the zoo for the second time today. She went with Robin O. and Willie and Jenna. Robin said Kelli was a really good girl, and that she and Willie got a kick out of all the different animals. Jenna was just a bit too young for it. Kelli said she saw a penguin, a peacock, an elephants, seals and "big ones"--I asked her if she meant sea lions, and Kelli said yes. Robin let Kelli bring two San Diego Zoo balloons--a pink one for herself, and a green one for Abbi.
Present-day note: I am sad to say that Kell's journal reflects that
sometime in July 1980, I cut her hair. Yes, I cut her hair. Poor kid. I
saved some of her hair. But I am sure that nothing could be done to
save her from the bad haircut I am sure that it was. Yes, I tried to
"do" the hair of the older girls. Eventually, I learned...all I did for
Nancy and Josie was maybe to braid it or put it in a ponytail. Because
eventually, through looking at pictures of past hair disasters, I
learned that I suck at doing hair. Better to have long straight fly-away hair than one of my bad haircuts.
July 20 -- Remember that we left my car in Las Vegas to be fixed? Well, this was the day we made the trip back to pick it up. We took Kelli, and left Abbi in San Diego with Arlene, Michael and Jenna. This was the olden days, so Kelli actually went into a few casinos with us--the Sahara and the Hacienda. She really liked the slot machines, especially when money came out. But we weren't in Vegas to gamble--though we did visit the casinos to pick up some of the freebies they gave out at the time. Kelli went swimming in the Holt family pool--this time wearing water wings-- and is well on her way to learning to swim. She lost her fear of the water and could even go to the deep end and climb out on the ladder by herself. The morning of the 21st, we certainly had a hard time getting her to get out of the pool and dry off so we could go back to California!
One unnamed day in July 1980, Kelli was being quite disobedient, and I was being quite impatient, and I said, "Kelli Evon Layton, you come here right now!" Kelli looked up and said, "I'm not grandma!" [Grandma is Evon Layton.]
July 23--I caught Kelli running out on the street, and told her not to do that again. As soon as she put a few feet between herself and me, she ran right back out again. And she's also been saying "no!" a lot. It's probably just the 3-yr-old stage she is getting into, but the bad thing is that her little sister is NOT in that stage, but she copies everything that Kelli does.
July 29 -- Today while I was sick in bed, Kelli was outside playing. My friend Vernetta stopped by and was asking about the girls. I said that Kelli was outside, and Vernetta said, "Is she the cute little girl in a blue sundress with a bare bottom?" I looked out and about died! Her little dress opened in an upside down V at the back, to show off the cute shorts that went with the sundress, but instead, she was showing off her cute little bottom! How long she was dressed--or rather, undressed--that way I don't know! But, I was a bit horrified and had a quick and rather firm talk with her.
Aug. 1 -- Kelli wore her water wings in Mission Bay, and they worked just as well as in the Holt's pool. Bruce took Kelli into water about five feet deep, and she had a ball swimming around. She also loved playing in the sand and at the playground at Mission Bay park.
Aug. 6 -- We moved to Apartment #2, because Bruce and I became the new apartment managers. And Kelli has a new great big double bed to sleep on, which will be really nice. The last managers left it behind, and the owners said we could keep it. The change has Kelli a little bit confused, though. She isn't sure if #8 is home, or #2, or even #4, because Bruce and I have been in there a lot, too, getting it ready to rent. But the new apartment (#2) is prettier and cooler and has a nice view out the windows, and already it feels more like home.
Aug. 7 -- Last night, Kelli woke up because she was hot and thirsty. When she went back to bed, though, she wanted a great big quilt over her--I tried to explain that maybe it was the quilt that made her hot in the first place, but she wouldn't listen. Finally, I took the quilt away to keep her from overheating. A while later, Abbi woke up crying--Kelli had pulled a blanket right out from under Abbi as she slept, and was sleeping on it herself.
Still Aug. 7 -- Today at dinner, Kelli pointed to where she was sitting and said, "Mommy, what's this?" I said, "That's the place where you sit." Kelli said, "No! I said, what's this?" She pointed down very firmly and said, "It's my house!"
Aug. 23 -- The girls went to their good friend Marisol Cortes' 7th birthday party today. It was at McDonald's on Fletcher Parkway. Each child got to wear a party hat and got a balloon to bring home with them. The girls gave Marisol some crayons and coloring books, and a special card that their dad drew for Marisol.
Aug. 26 -- For some reason, Kelli decided that she wanted to sleep in the crib this week. The surprising thing was that she slept so much better in the crib. [Surprising to me, because as long as I had known Kelli, she had always slept in a bed. She was out of crib-sleeping before I knew her.] I guess she liked the security of knowing she couldn't fall out of bed. [She was a tossy-turny kind of sleeper.] She only slept in the crib for a week, and then, on Sept. 2, she decided to switch back to the bed, and after the stint in the crib, she sleeps much better in the bed. She goes right to sleep, and hasn't had any trouble with falling out of bed.
Kelli already has a best friend--a little black boy, Antoine, who lives in #12. He and his younger sister (LaShetta) spend so much time at our house, I'm beginning to wonder if they live here, too--and so is their mommy! But they are very sweet children, and love to play with the girls, so I don't mind a bit!
July 16 -- Kelli went to the zoo for the second time today. She went with Robin O. and Willie and Jenna. Robin said Kelli was a really good girl, and that she and Willie got a kick out of all the different animals. Jenna was just a bit too young for it. Kelli said she saw a penguin, a peacock, an elephants, seals and "big ones"--I asked her if she meant sea lions, and Kelli said yes. Robin let Kelli bring two San Diego Zoo balloons--a pink one for herself, and a green one for Abbi.
![]() |
| Two pretty little girls with pretty horrible hair styles, thanks to me ; summer 1980. |
July 20 -- Remember that we left my car in Las Vegas to be fixed? Well, this was the day we made the trip back to pick it up. We took Kelli, and left Abbi in San Diego with Arlene, Michael and Jenna. This was the olden days, so Kelli actually went into a few casinos with us--the Sahara and the Hacienda. She really liked the slot machines, especially when money came out. But we weren't in Vegas to gamble--though we did visit the casinos to pick up some of the freebies they gave out at the time. Kelli went swimming in the Holt family pool--this time wearing water wings-- and is well on her way to learning to swim. She lost her fear of the water and could even go to the deep end and climb out on the ladder by herself. The morning of the 21st, we certainly had a hard time getting her to get out of the pool and dry off so we could go back to California!
One unnamed day in July 1980, Kelli was being quite disobedient, and I was being quite impatient, and I said, "Kelli Evon Layton, you come here right now!" Kelli looked up and said, "I'm not grandma!" [Grandma is Evon Layton.]
July 23--I caught Kelli running out on the street, and told her not to do that again. As soon as she put a few feet between herself and me, she ran right back out again. And she's also been saying "no!" a lot. It's probably just the 3-yr-old stage she is getting into, but the bad thing is that her little sister is NOT in that stage, but she copies everything that Kelli does.
July 29 -- Today while I was sick in bed, Kelli was outside playing. My friend Vernetta stopped by and was asking about the girls. I said that Kelli was outside, and Vernetta said, "Is she the cute little girl in a blue sundress with a bare bottom?" I looked out and about died! Her little dress opened in an upside down V at the back, to show off the cute shorts that went with the sundress, but instead, she was showing off her cute little bottom! How long she was dressed--or rather, undressed--that way I don't know! But, I was a bit horrified and had a quick and rather firm talk with her.
Aug. 1 -- Kelli wore her water wings in Mission Bay, and they worked just as well as in the Holt's pool. Bruce took Kelli into water about five feet deep, and she had a ball swimming around. She also loved playing in the sand and at the playground at Mission Bay park.
Aug. 6 -- We moved to Apartment #2, because Bruce and I became the new apartment managers. And Kelli has a new great big double bed to sleep on, which will be really nice. The last managers left it behind, and the owners said we could keep it. The change has Kelli a little bit confused, though. She isn't sure if #8 is home, or #2, or even #4, because Bruce and I have been in there a lot, too, getting it ready to rent. But the new apartment (#2) is prettier and cooler and has a nice view out the windows, and already it feels more like home.
Aug. 7 -- Last night, Kelli woke up because she was hot and thirsty. When she went back to bed, though, she wanted a great big quilt over her--I tried to explain that maybe it was the quilt that made her hot in the first place, but she wouldn't listen. Finally, I took the quilt away to keep her from overheating. A while later, Abbi woke up crying--Kelli had pulled a blanket right out from under Abbi as she slept, and was sleeping on it herself.
Still Aug. 7 -- Today at dinner, Kelli pointed to where she was sitting and said, "Mommy, what's this?" I said, "That's the place where you sit." Kelli said, "No! I said, what's this?" She pointed down very firmly and said, "It's my house!"
![]() |
| Kelli, Abbi, and Joanna Bonilla (Marisol's cousin) on Aug. 23, ready for the party. You can see for yourself the awesome haircut I gave to Kelli. |
![]() |
| Abbi and Kelli on August 24 in the pretty pink dresses that Grandma Layton made for them. |
Aug. 26 -- For some reason, Kelli decided that she wanted to sleep in the crib this week. The surprising thing was that she slept so much better in the crib. [Surprising to me, because as long as I had known Kelli, she had always slept in a bed. She was out of crib-sleeping before I knew her.] I guess she liked the security of knowing she couldn't fall out of bed. [She was a tossy-turny kind of sleeper.] She only slept in the crib for a week, and then, on Sept. 2, she decided to switch back to the bed, and after the stint in the crib, she sleeps much better in the bed. She goes right to sleep, and hasn't had any trouble with falling out of bed.



No comments:
Post a Comment