Monday, November 19, 2012

Miscellaneous miscellany

Feb. 16, 1981 -- Today, Bruce came home early from work, so he was able to take Kelli to dancing class! As they were approaching the street but were still on the driveway, Kelli said, "Up here, you turn left." She pointed her left arm and said, "Yes, that's right. A left hand turn. And then you drive all the way to the end of the road, and then you turn this way." And she extended her right hand to show her daddy. As they pulled up to the stop sign at the corner of Bradley and Graves, she looked up at Bruce and asked matter-of-factly, "Got a map? My mommy always takes a map with her."  Bruce wondered if Kelli would have been able to read the map had he had one with him. We wouldn't be surprised! Kelli is getting to be so very smart, and she is such a sweet and nice girl. We love her so much! Which reminds me that Grandma C told Grandma L that our two little girls are some of the best behaved children she has ever seen! What a compliment to Kelli and Abbi!

Nov. 19, 2012 -- Today, so thankful that Josie made it safely not just to Belgium, but to her correct destinations! Grateful for the family she is staying with; grateful that she has been given the opportunity to go and work, and praying for her to be confident and successful in her endeavors.  She was getting a little rattled while waiting for her plane in Philadelphia, and that in turn was getting me a little rattled.  Our home teachers came to visit last night, and after Barry N. gave a short lesson, Mel B. said, "I want to tell you a little story." And now I am going to tell his story, because it really affected me, and was just what I needed to hear, so comforting while I was worried about Josie.

Mel's story: 28 years ago, when Mel and his family lived next door to this house that we live in, on a Saturday in November, Mel and his wife Jeannie took two of their sons in their pick-up truck to go into the mountains and chop some firewood, leaving their son who had just turned 12 at home.  They drove to their usual firewood-chopping spot, chopped wood and loaded their truck and headed for home. They had to ford a creek, and they had done so on the way in with no difficulty, but on the way back, they got stuck in the creek. Mel thought it was the weight of the wood causing the trouble, so they all waded out and moved the wood out of the truck and put it on (the destination side of) the bank. But that didn't help; nothing Mel did helped. Since the water was up to the doors, and he didn't want the truck to settle in any deeper, and it was getting dark, Mel told Jeannie that they would have to stay put, and spend the night in the truck.  They were concerned and worried about their son alone at home, but there was not really any other choice.  Mel was praying hard for their own safety and for their son.  He had a thought, a dream, a vision--not sure what to call it--that they would be fine; that they should stay were they were, and in the morning go to a certain spot, where he would see a certain truck coming, and he should flag it down, and they would get help that way. So in the morning, Mel took one of the boys with him, and they walked to the certain spot that he knew was the right spot, waited a few minutes, and along came exactly the truck he knew to expect. He flagged it down. In the truck was another family coming to chop firewood. They had a tow rope, and towed the truck out, the family loaded up the firewood they had put on the bank the night before, and were on their way home. As Mel got back to town and pulled into his driveway, the bishop (Geoff G. at the time) was just coming out of the house. He was in the process of organizing a search party, because the son left at home had got up and dressed and gone to the church on Sunday morning to do his duties (he was a brand new deacon) and when the bishop asked how he was, said, "Well, I'm fine, but I'm a little worried about my family."  But even though the family was apart, they were fine, and God was watching all of them. 

"God is watching us...from a distance."  I felt that very much last night while praying for Josie to have the courage to do hard things.  I felt so comforted by Mel's story. It touched me deeply, and I could relax.  I slept, and woke up at about 1 AM, the approximate time that Josie's plane should have arrived in Belgium.  And around 2 AM, I felt completely at ease; I had not heard from her, but I just knew she was okay.  I fell fast asleep. When I got up, I found that Josie had sent me a message at 2:11 AM (our time) to say that she was at the archive. She had done it: plane, train, taxi, walking the last few blocks. I was awake and praying for her while she was enroute doing the things that were hardest, and she didn't know it, but God did. So, this is just a heart-felt thank you. So grateful.

1 comment:

Josie Louise said...

I love you so much Mom. I hope you're well. I miss you!