Saturday, November 24, 2012

June and July 1981

It was clearly a busy summer in 1981--Kelli's journal jumps around erratically. I will try to impose some order on the chaos...

June 1 -- Uncle Bob, Aunt Mickey, Tara and Tyler arrived. It was so fun to hvae some more cousins to play with! During the week, we went with them to the Wild Animal Park and to the tidepools at Point Loma. Kelli, Abbi and I amazed Uncle Bob at our agility in climbing up the cliffs. We could do it because Kelli is a natural little mountain goat, and when the going would get rough, she's say, "Okay, Mommy--I'll crawl right here, and you just help me." We had lots of fun!

June 2 -- picture taking day at dance class.  Sometime between when Kelli started dance class in the fall of 1980 and June of 1981, Abbi also started taking dance classes. I just don't know exactly when because of the whole double journal thing.
 But that Abbi had begun dance lessons is clear, because she also got her portrait taken. She is all decked out for ballet, while Kelli is ready for tap.
The dance teacher, Pat Beatty (like Grandma Lund, who was one of her great friends) had Hollywood aspirations as a young girl. She spent time as a Disney Mousketeer.  She was very fun and enthusiastic.

June 6 -- Kelli's dance recital. (Abbi was not in the recital--I checked the program to be sure.) Kelli and her group danced in "Chicken Chow Mein." They stole the show--they were all so cute and little! Kelli smiled pretty and sang the song and did the actions well--but she kind of forgot to dance! Oh well--can't have everything! She made Bruce and I so proud of her, and she enjoyed herself at the same time.
I love this picture of Kelli! She was adorable, don't you agree?  Back row L-R: Alicia, Laura, Rianne, Jamie. Front row L-R: Lindsey, Kerrilyn, Kelli.
"Where is the chicken in the chicken chow mein?" was a popular song in the 40's. I could not find a really good recording of it searching the net, though the video I linked to looks promising...I will have to buy that for the music library. I did find a really bad video of it, though.  As I recall, the children danced during the verses and sang and acted out the choruses: "Where is the chicken in the chicken chow mein, chicken chow mein, chicken chow mein? Can't find the chicken in the chicken chow mein--chicken, where can you be?"

June 8 -- Uncle Cory arrived (meaning there would be many beach trips and other fun).

June 9 -- As the girls and I and Cory were riding in the car doing errands, Kelli was full of questions about who had taken care of her in her life--her Mama Bella, her daddy, her grandma, and now me.  So she said, "When I get even bigger, who is going to take care of me?" I said, "Oh, I am always going to be your mommy and take care of you." Cory [ever the optimist] said "Hopefully."  I said, "Definitely!" Kelli tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Mommy--definitely please don't die, ok, Mommy?"  So sweet!

June 11 -- We went to Disneyland. Kelli had her very own all-day pass, which I planned to save to put in her journal, but it got lost--which made Kelli feel sad. But Kelli had a lot of fun, though she did NOT like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which she calls "water train." She didn't get scared ever, because she has learned about "pretend" and anything that might otherwise be scary is now "pretend".
Cory, Bruce's youngest brother, and Kelli on the way to Sleeping Beauty's castle.
June 13 -- Heather G. arrived from Tucson and it has been fun having her here. Kelli and Abbi just love her because she is so sweet and kind to them.

June 21 -- Daddy told Kelli that Heather was going to sleep here just one more night. (She is going to spend the next week at Jenna's house.)
Kelli: Just one more night?
Bruce: Yes.
Kelli: What about Cory? Isn't he ever going to see his mother again?
Cory has been here for two weeks, and I guess he seems like a permanent fixture!

Also today in Primary sharing time, Kelli's teacher Sister Zajak was asked who was the best one in her class so that child could come up and hold a picture, and the answer was "Kelli!" I was so proud of her!

July 13 -- Our family has finally settled down to normal. The weekend of July 4th, Unlce Bruce, Auntie Judy, Mindy and Carlie came. Heather went back to Tucson with her family, and Mindy stayed for a week and flew home on July 11th. While everyone was here, Kelli saw a lot of movies: Herbie Rides Again, Swiss Family Robinson, Superman II, The Great Muppet Caper and The Fox and the Hound. But it's nice to be settled down to normal, although we enjoyed all the company.

No comments: